Card payment transactions
What are the current interchange fee rates?
The amount of the interchange fee is set by the payment organisations. Detailed information on the current interchange fee rates is published on the websites of MasterCard and VISA payment organisations.
Does the payment terminal have to be switched on all the time?
Yes, the terminal must remain switched on, even if there are no transactions, because once a day at a fixed time it performs a Day Close, as well as software and parameter updates.
Only one bill from the transaction was printed or the printed bill was destroyed?
In this case you must make a "copy" of the last transaction. Simply select the "Copy" button from the start screen and indicate the application from which the copy is needed, i.e. Payment Application, Top-ups, My Bills. It is possible to make a copy of the last transaction only.
What to do if there is a mistake in the transaction?
- If an incorrect transaction amount has been entered, you should press the yellow button (left arrow) on the terminal before approving it (when the receipt has not yet started to print), correct the sum and return to the transaction.
- If an erroneous sum has been entered and then the transaction has been approved (a confirmation with an authorisation code has been printed), do not confirm the customer's signature by pressing the NO key next to the "Signature compatible" (the transaction will be automatically cancelled).
- If the customer has already signed the printout and the transaction has been approved with the "Conforming Signature" key, the transaction must be deleted. In order to delete the transaction, perform a cancellation operation from the Menu on the POS terminal. Note: the cancellation will block funds on the customer's account and entering another transaction may result in rejecting the transaction.
- If the customer has already left the shop and after verification with the bill it turned out that the entered amount is incorrect, contact COA to obtain instructions on how to solve the problem.
What does the 'Stop Card' message mean?
The message is a request from the bank that issued the card to stop the given card. To explain the reasons for the decision to retain the card, the cardholder should contact their bank.
The order to stop the card may be issued by phone by an employee of the PeP Merchant Service Centre or as a message on the terminal display. The merchant is obliged to explain to the cardholder that the Bank has requested the card to be stopped (the bank is formally the cardholder, not the bearer) and to complete the "Card Retention Protocol". The stopped card and the protocol should be sent back by post to PeP's office on the next business day at the latest. The protocol is available in the PeP Client Zone under "Downloads" or can be sent by COA to the merchant's e-mail address given in the telephone call. Note: An exception, which allows you to waive the obligation to retain the card, is a threat to the life or health of the terminal user.
Cards withheld and sent back to PeP may be rewarded in the amount determined by the card issuer (the reward is not paid for Bank BPH cards and cards found or left by the holder).
How to deal with a stopped or found card?
For cards without a chip, cut the card between the magnetic stripe and the signature stripe so as not to damage the magnetic stripe, hologram, or embossed or printed number . For cards with a microprocessor, cut off the top right-hand corner of the card. The destroyed card should be sent back by post to PeP at the address indicated on the form, on the next working day, together with a signed protocol of card stopping completed.
What does the "Refusal" message on the terminal mean when performing a transaction?
"Refusal" is a message indicating the bank's lack of approval to carry out the transaction. You should explain to the customer that the card issuer's bank refused to allow the transaction to be carried out. Questions about the reason for rejecting a transaction should also be addressed to the bank of the issuer of the given payment card.
Can you split the amount to be paid into smaller amounts?
Payment organisations' regulations do not allow the amount payable for a single good or service to be split into several card transactions of smaller value. Splitting transaction may result in the rejection of any complaints.
What should I do if the word "VOID" appears on the payment card, in the space reserved for signature?
If the word "VOID" is visible on the signature strip, it means that the card is not valid and you cannot accept payments with it. The customer must be informed about this.
Can I accept payment if the card is not signed?
If the card is unsigned, the card bearer can sign it in the presence of the seller and at the same time confirm his or her identity with a document with a photo. If the customer doesn’t want to sign the card, the seller can refuse the transaction.
In what cases can the customer be asked to present an identity document?
- You should ask to present identity document whenever payment card is unsigned.
- In case of justified doubts about the verification of the card and its details, e.g. whether the cardholder is entitled to use the card, the cardholder may be asked to present a document confirming his/her identity.
- If the cardholder refuses to present his identity document, the execution of the transaction should (by not giving the card back to the cardholder) be suspended or, if the authorisation has already been executed, cancelled by performing a Cancellation. Then contact the PeP Merchant Service Centre for further instructions (e.g. stopping the card).
What to do if we suspect that the card is fraudulent?
As soon as possible you should contact the PeP Merchant Service Centre at (17) 859 69 69. If the customer's behaviour seems suspicious or the merchant is concerned about his or her safety, the COA consultant should be given the password "CODE 10" at the beginning of the conversation meaning that the conversation cannot be conducted freely. The COA consultant will then ask questions to which the Acceptor will be able to answer "Yes" or "No" to instruct him how to proceed.
Can I accept payment with a card that does not contain name, but only the name of the institution?
Many institutions issue cards with printed names other than the name of the holder. With such a card you can carry out the transaction without fear.